I am a psychotherapist who offers the facility to work with art materials alongside talking. There can be times when words alone cannot fully describe an experience that has affected you deeply. Expressing yourself creatively in these moments can help you articulate these experiences and feelings.
Talking about your problems in a safe, professional environment helps you to understand the causes as well as the symptoms of those problems and can lead you to a deeper understanding of yourself.
Psychotherapy & Counselling with Sophie Munro
You absolutely do not need to be an artist or have any artistic skills. The work that you make is seen purely as an expression of your feelings and never in terms of artistic ‘talent’ or ‘skill’. There is also no pressure to express yourself in this way if you feel more comfortable talking, it is always your choice. There may come a time when you feel it’s natural and useful to experiment creatively. Perhaps you may want to do both.
I consider the foundation of good, effective therapy to be the relationship between therapist and client. It gives you the chance to identify and articulate what has not been working for you within yourself and your life and enables you to develop the tools to deal with future challenges.
As an integrative therapist I draw on a range of approaches and ideas including psychodynamic and humanistic theories all of which are there to help and support you. This enables me to find the most appropriate way to tailor the therapy to your individual needs.
On a practical note, I will provide a range of art materials in our sessions; such as: paints, crayons, pastels, chalks, clay and sand tray.
Areas I work with:
Training, Qualifications & Experience:
- Cruse Bereavement Course, 2017-2018
- MA in Integrative Arts Psychotherapy, IATE, University of East London, 2016-2019
- Postgraduate Diploma in Counselling using the Arts – IATE , University of East London, 2016-2017
- Certificate in Mentalisation and the Arts Psychotherapies (CNWL/NHS) 2016
- Basic and Intermediate Sexuality courses – Spectrum, 2015 & 2017
- Postgraduate Certificate in Therapeutic Arts -IATE, University of East London, 2015-2016
- Advanced Diploma in the Therapeutic & Educational Application of the Arts, IATE, 2014-2015
- Introduction to Counselling and Psychotherapy – Tavistock and Portman, 2013-2014
I am a member of the British Association of Art Therapy (BAAT) and follow their Code of Ethics. I am in on-going professional supervision and I regularly undertake courses for professional development.
If you would like to set up an appointment, please call or email me.
My fee is £65 per session (50 mins).
I offer a limited number of reduced fee places for people on lower incomes.